Is there a deadline to apply and when can I apply for a police officer position?
- There are no application deadlines so you may apply once you have met all of HPD’s requirements. Once you have passed all phases of the application process you will then be scheduled for the next available academy class.
How do I apply to become a Houston police officer?
- There are several phases in HPD’s application process. Click on the Application Process link in the menu bar above to learn more about each phase.
May I apply if I am active duty military?
- If you are currently on active duty and your ETS/EAS date and/or transitioning status is not imminent, we do not recommend that you apply. Once you have a confirmed ETS/EAS date, you may schedule an interview and bring a letter from your commanding officer with your ETS/EAS date and confirmation that you will be honorably discharged. You will need to supply your DD-214 or NGB-22 forms for all past and current active duty status once they are available, but prior to starting the academy.
Can I apply if I live out-of-state?
- Yes, applicants who reside in the Continental United States are encouraged to apply. Please note, out-of-state applicants will be required to travel to Houston one time in order to complete the application process.
Must I meet all HPD requirements?
- Yes, before you apply you should read all the information in the Requirements section.
Must I submit all original documents required and the copies?
- Yes, you must bring all original documents and the proper number of copies to your initial interview.
Must I complete and submit ALL the necessary background history information required on the Personal History Statement?
- Yes, you are responsible for carefully documenting/listing ALL relevant information related to family, employment, residence, and other pertinent data requested for the Personal History Statement. You will be expected to submit this fully completed document along with all other required documents at your initial interview.
Do the 48 hours of college credit need to be in criminal justice or law enforcement?
- No, the credit hours can be in any subject from an accredited college/university. However, remedial or developmental classes do not count toward the 48 credit hours.
Do I need to attend HPD’s academy if I graduated from an academy at a university or another agency?
- Yes, upon employment, all cadets attend HPD’s paid training academy.
Does the Houston Police Department have a lateral or modified academy for TCOLE licensed officers?
- Yes, at this time we anticipate holding a modified academy for laterals in August. Anyone with three years or more law enforcement experience is eligible to apply for the lateral class.
How many academy classes are held each year?
- The number of academy classes varies each year depending on available funding.
Can I attend college or work a part-time job while I am in the academy?
- No, you may not. As a cadet in the HPD Training Academy you are not permitted to attend college or have employment outside of the academy, even on your days off.
What is HPD’s policy on visible tattoos and/or body art?
- Department policy specifies that no officer will have tattoos and/or body art that cannot be covered by official uniform and/or plainclothes attire.
What if I cannot pass the Physical Agility Test?
- If you are unable to pass all parts of the Physical Agility Test, you will not be allowed to continue further in the application process. If you fail your first attempt, you will be scheduled for the next available test date and be given one more opportunity to take the test. If you fail the second attempt, you will be removed from the process and ineligible to reapply for three months. Prior to taking the Physical Agility Test, you will have already submitted a Physical Agility Test Self-Evaluation Form during your initial interview, indicating that you are able to pass the test. After conducting that self-assessment, if you do not believe you are able to pass the test, then you should not submit your application until you feel you can meet all of the physical agility requirements. To measure your current level of physical fitness or to determine whether or not you can pass the Physical Agility Test prior to the testing date, consider participating in the Run with Your Recruiter events. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSULT WITH YOUR PERSONAL PHYSICIAN BEFORE YOU BEGIN A PERSONAL PHYSICAL TRAINING REGIMEN IN PREPARATION FOR THIS TEST.
My credit history is unsatisfactory. Will this prevent me from applying?
- Applicants are required to have a stable credit history, and your credit report will be reviewed as part of the application process. Any delinquent accounts or accounts in collections should be rectified prior to applying, and written confirmation that the accounts have been addressed will be required to continue in the application process. The confirmation letter should be on business letterhead with the applicant’s name, account number and reflect that the account has either been paid in full or a payment plan arrangement has been agreed upon.
Can I still apply to HPD if I've used drugs?
- Drug usage is one of many factors that recruiting considers when determining someone's suitability for hire. We understand that some people have experimented with drugs and that even good people make mistakes. In order to accurately evaluate you as a candidate, we need you to be completely honest with us in response to all questions asked during the recruiting process, including those regarding drug usage.