You must have at least one of the following three qualifications:
- 1) At least 48 semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university with at minimum of a 2.0 grade point average (Please Note: “Developmental” or “Remedial” classes do not count towards the minimum 48 credit hours); OR
- 2) A minimum of two years active duty in the United States armed forces and received an honorable discharge; OR
- 3) At least five years of full-time employment as a peace officer licensed by TCOLE or an equivalent licensing entity in another state.
- Must be between the ages of 20 ½ - 44 years of age. (Applicants must be 21 prior to graduating the academy and must not turn 45 prior to graduating the academy.)
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must never have been convicted of or received community supervision for a Class A Misdemeanor or Felony.
- Must not have been convicted of or received community supervision for a Class B Misdemeanor within the past 10 years.
- Must Pass a Physical Agility Test.
- Must pass a reading comprehension test.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of liability insurance.
- Driving record should reflect prudence and maturity.
- Former military personnel must not have been convicted of any court-martial higher than a summary.
- Must have a stable credit history, family background and employment background (Please Note: Any accounts in collections must be resolved prior to submitting your application, and supporting documentation must be provided confirming the accounts have been resolved.)
To review specific medical conditions that may impact your application, please click here to view SPECIFIC MEDICAL GUIDELINES.
Tattoos and Body Art: Department policy states that no officer will have tattoos and/or body art that cannot be covered by official uniform and/or plainclothes attire. If you have tattoos or body art that cannot be covered by the official HPD uniform and you are not willing to have them removed, you will not be considered for employment.