You must have at least one of the following four qualifications:
- At least 48 semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university with at least a 2.0 grade point average; OR
- A minimum of 18 months active duty in the United States armed forces and received an honorable discharge; OR
- At least three years of full-time employment as a peace officer licensed by TCOLE or an equivalent licensing entity in another state, OR
- At least 36 months of full-time employment, in any field, in the last 48 months.
- Must be between the ages of 20 ½ - 44 years of age (applicants must be 21 prior to graduating the academy and must not turn 45 prior to graduating the academy).
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must never have been convicted of or received community supervision for a Class A Misdemeanor or Felony.
- Must not have been convicted of or received community supervision for a Class B Misdemeanor within the past 10 years.
- Must pass the Physical Agility Test.
- Must pass a reading comprehension test.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and proof of liability insurance.
- Driving record should reflect prudence and maturity.
- Former military personnel must not have been convicted of any court-martial higher than a summary.
- Must have a stable employment and credit history. Any accounts in collections must be resolved.
To review specific medical conditions that may impact your application, please click here to view SPECIFIC MEDICAL GUIDELINES.
Tattoos and body art will be reviewed on a case by case basis. However, no visible tattoo or body art located on the hands, on the neck or above the neck.