Click on the buttons below to learn more about each phase. Please note, the application process will take approximately 90 days to complete, depending on the Academy start dates. Out-of-state applicants can travel to Houston one time in order to complete the application process.
- PHASE ONE -
1) Complete Personal History Statement
2) Complete NeoGov City of Houston Application
3) Gather Items on this Check List
4) Then Click Button Below to Schedule Interview
NOTE: you must have ALL of the required documents at the time of your scheduled interview or you will be rescheduled for another day.
- PHASE TWO - Reading Comprehension Test and Physical Agility Test
- PHASE THREE - Polygraph Exam and Final Interview
- PHASE FOUR - Background Investigation
- PHASE FIVE - Psychological and Medical Exam
- PHASE SIX - Final Review and Chief of Police Approval
The first step is to prepare the application packet, which consists of the original documents listed below, in addition to the required photocopies. The copies must be of the original document and should not be enlarged or reduced. Small documents, like social security cards and driver’s licenses, should be centered in the middle of the page. All documents must reflect the name and date of birth as shown on your birth certificate or marriage license Please scroll down on the page to see the complete list of all original documents needed.
- Original certified birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original high school diploma, certified high school transcript or GED (plus 2 photocopies)
- Certified college transcript from each college attended (sealed originals). If applicable, transcript must reflect any and all degrees obtained.
- Original naturalization papers if applicable (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original U.S. Military DD-214 (member 4 or service 2) for all past and current active duty status, if applicable (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original U.S. Military NGB-22 for all past and current active duty status, if applicable (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original Divorce Petition and Final Divorce Decree if applicable (plus1 photocopy of each)
- Valid driver's license with current address or receipt for change of address or renewal. If married, it must be in your married name (3 photocopies of driver’s license plus 1 photocopy of the driver’s license and social security card on the same page)
- Original social security card or receipt for duplicate request; must have correct spelling of your name, and if married, it must have your married name (plus 3 photocopies)
- TCOLE Peace Officer’s License or other state license, if applicable (plus 2 photocopies)
- Peace officer’s training records for all agencies employed by, if applicable (plus 2 photocopies)
- A current credit report, no more than 60 days old, is required. You may obtain a credit report through Experian or any other major reporting agency. You must bring all pages from the credit report, including pages that are left blank on purpose, to your initial interview (do not have it mailed to our offices). We recommend you review your credit report in advance; this will allow you to bring in any supporting documents or pay any items listed in collections, prior to scheduling a Phase One interview.
- Last 2 payroll check stubs (plus 1 photocopy of each)
- Printed copy of the completed Personal History Statement
- Printed copy of the receipt from completion of NeoGov City of Houston Application
Once you have all of the required documents, you should schedule an interview by clicking on the “Schedule An Interview” button below. You will be contacted in approximately two business days to schedule an interview. Interviews are conducted by appointment only at HPD’s Recruiting Center located at 1219 Milam, Houston, TX 77002, and should take approximately 3 hours. Dress for the interview is business attire.
Once you have passed the initial interview, you will be scheduled to take a reading comprehension test and physical agility test. Phase Two will take approximately 4-5 hours and will be held at the Houston Police Department’s Training Academy at 17000 Aldine Westfield. Upon completion of the Reading Comprehension and Physical Agility tests, You will then be sent for fingerprinting.
Physical Agility Test (PAT):
- 1.5 Mile Run, 17:30 minutes or less
- 300 Meter Sprint, 78 seconds or less
- Vertical Jump, 16.5 inches or more
- Push-ups, 15 or more
- Agility Run, 20 seconds or less
- Weapons Compatibility, 6 trigger pulls with each hand
We encourage you to physically prepare for the PAT prior to any attempt and recommend that you consult a physician prior to undertaking any rigorous training program. If you do not believe you are able to pass this test, you should not submit your application until you feel you can meet all of the physical agility requirements.
Once you have passed the Physical Agility Test, you will be scheduled for a polygraph examination. Immediately following the polygraph, you will have your final interview. Professional business attire is required. Phase Three will take approximately 4 hours.
An extensive background investigation will be conducted on your personal, family, financial, employment, credit, and residential histories.
During Phase Five, you will be scheduled for a medical and a psychological examination. It is important to report on time to these appointments. If you wear glasses or contacts, please make sure to bring them to your appointment. Please allow 7 hours for the medical examination and 4-5 hours for the psychological exam.
Pending the successful completion of all the previous phases, your application file will go through a final review process and be submitted to the Chief of Police for final approval.
Placement into the Police Training Academy is contingent upon passing all six recruiting phases and the availability of positions in scheduled cadet classes.