- PHASE ONE - Submit Required Documents
and Schedule an Interview
- PHASE TWO - Reading Comprehension Test
- PHASE THREE - Physical Agility Test
- PHASE FOUR - Polygraph Exam and Final Interview
- PHASE FIVE - Background Investigation
- PHASE SIX - Psychological and Medical Exam
- PHASE SEVEN - Final Review and Chief of Police Approval
The first step is to prepare the application packet, which consists of the 19 original documents listed below, in addition to the required photocopies. The copies must be of the original document and should not be enlarged or reduced (except for copies of college degrees larger than 8½” x 11”). Small documents, like social security cards and driver’s licenses, should be centered in the middle of the page. All documents must reflect the name and date of birth as shown on your birth certificate or marriage license. Please scroll down on the page to see the complete list of all 19 original documents.
- Original certified birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original high school diploma or high school transcript or GED (plus 2 photocopies)
- Certified college transcript from each college attended (sealed originals)
- Original college degree if applicable (plus 2 photocopies)
- Original naturalization papers if applicable (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original U.S. Military DD-214 for all past and current active duty status, if applicable (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original U.S. Military NGB-22 for all past and current active duty status, if applicable (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original Divorce Petition and Final Divorce Decree if applicable (plus1 photocopy of each)
- Valid driver's license with current address or receipt for change of address or renewal. If married, it must be in your married name (3 photocopies of driver’s license plus 1 photocopy of the driver’s license and social security card on the same page)
- Original social security card or receipt for duplicate request; must have correct spelling of your name, and if married, it must have your married name (plus 3 photocopies)
- Original proof of auto liability insurance. Must be current and reflect your name as insured. If not, a letter/policy will be needed from insurance agent stating you are covered (plus 1 photocopy)
- Maps for addresses using P.O. Box or Routes if applicable (1 copy)
- TCOLE Peace Officer’s License or other state license if applicable (plus 2 photocopies)
- Peace officer’s records if applicable (plus 2 photocopies)
- Credit report from Credit Bureau Services. To obtain your credit report, submit the completed credit report request form, a copy of your driver’s license, and $15.00 to Credit Bureau Services, either by mail or in person (if mailed, use a money order payable to Credit Bureau Services or if delivered in person, cash or credit cards are accepted). For more information, view the credit report request form or call Credit Bureau Services at (936) 756-7741 or toll free at 1-888-524-0574. You are required to deliver your sealed credit report IN PERSON to HPD Recruiting (do not have it mailed to our offices). NO OTHER CREDIT BUREAU AGENCY REPORT WILL BE ACCEPTED. An additional credit report may be obtained for $2.00 from Credit Bureau Services. This will allow you to view your credit report and bring in any supporting documents or pay any items listed in collections, prior to scheduling a Phase One interview.
- Last 2 payroll checks (plus 1 photocopy of each)
- Physical Agility Test Self-Evaluation Form
- Completed Personal History Statement
- Printed copy of the completed NeoGov City of Houston Application
Once you have all original documents and copies, you should schedule an interview by clicking on the “Schedule An Interview” button below. Interviews are conducted by appointment only at HPD’s Recruiting Center located at 1219 Milam, Houston, TX 77002, and should take approximately 2-3 hours. Please note that your application packet will not be accepted or considered complete until all required documents have been submitted during your initial interview.
Once you have passed the initial interview, you will be scheduled to take a reading comprehension test and meet with a recruiting investigator. Phase Two will take approximately 4-5 hours.
Physical Agility Test (PAT):
- 1.5 Mile Run, 17:30 minutes or less
- 300 Meter Sprint, 78 seconds or less
- Vertical Jump, 16.5 inches or more
- Push-ups, 15 or more
- Agility Run, 20 seconds or less
- Weapons Compatibility, 6 trigger pulls with each hand
We encourage you to physically prepare for this test prior to any attempt and recommend that you consult a physician prior to undertaking any rigorous training program. If you do not believe you are able to pass this test, you should not submit your application until you feel you can meet all of the physical agility requirements. Phase Three will take approximately 3 hours.
Once you have passed the Physical Agility Test, you will be scheduled for fingerprinting and a polygraph examination. Immediately following the exam, you will report to the HPD Recruiting Office located at 1200 Travis, Suite 1300 for your final interview. Professional business attire is required. Phase Four will take approximately 4 hours.
An extensive background investigation will be conducted on your personal, family, financial, employment, credit, and residential history.
During Phase Six, you will be scheduled for a medical and a psychological examination. It is important to report on time to these appointments. If you wear glasses or contacts, please make sure to bring them to your appointment. Please allow 7 hours for the medical examination and 4-5 hours for the psychological exam.
Pending the successful completion of all the previous phases, your application file will go through a final review process and be submitted to the Chief of Police for final approval.
Placement into the Police Training Academy is contingent upon passing all seven recruiting phases and the availability of positions in scheduled cadet classes.